About the bluechiip® System
bluechiip offers a proprietary Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) system, including chips and an interrogator system that will provide customers with key functional advantages that cannot be met by alternative RFID technologies.
Limitations of existing electronic RFID chips
Current electronic RFID chips have the following limitations:
- they have a limited temperature capability, not being able to survive the high autoclave temperatures required to sterilize medical devices
- they are destroyed by irradiation required to sterilize medical devices
- data can only be written under power
Benefits of bluechiip®
The bluechiip® chip will be a major advance in passive RFID technology, providing a competitive alternative to the commonly available microelectronic IC-based RFID devices. Using a MEMS technology platform, the bluechiip® “mechanical” devices are expected to have the following benefits:
- wide environmental tolerance, including being able to operate at high sterilization temperatures and survive ionizing radiation
- passively record data in an un-powered state, such as temperature
- integrated functionality including identification, memory, temperature sensing and Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) into a single chip
- simpler to manufacture with fewer steps
Click here for our ‘Answers to frequently asked questions’ document.